Friday, December 19, 2008

Sleepless Nights


One of my favorite Christmas related songs is "Count Your Blessings" from White Christmas.

"If you're worried, and you can't sleep,
Just count your blessings instead of sheep
And you'll fall asleep counting your blessings."

I wish it worked. But some nights nothing works. I can listen to music, count my blessings, read, pray (which for some reason works more often than not); and still, sleep doesn't come. So instead of lying in bed and getting frustrated, I just get up and try and be productive.

As you get older, sleep tends to evade you. I guess that's where they got the saying, "sleeps like a baby"; because babies, teenagers and pets are the ONLY ones who sleep through earthquakes, tornadoes and all forms of natural disasters. Most adults have insomnia at one point or another. It's just the nature of life I suppose.

In an effort to be productive this morning and perhaps begin the day on a positive note, I thought I might actually list the blessings I counted. Who knows, once I'm done maybe I'll fall asleep!

1. Freedom to worship, vote, choose, and even disagree
2. A roof over my head and food on my table
3. Children who love me and respect me
4. A spouse who goes to work every day and allows me the freedom to work at home
5. Friends who put up with my good days and bad days and accept me for who I am
6. Music and all the joy it brings into my life
7. Parents who raised me to love God and love His Word
8. The new friends I have met in the past few years online and eventually in person
9. The ability to express my feelings with words
10. A life filled with great memories and miraculous moments

Still awake but feeling blessed,
Walden Fan

No comments: