Monday, December 8, 2008

Christmas

What can I say? I love Christmas--the giving, the decorations, the music, the shopping excursions, the great family memories, and of course, the worship. No matter what is going on in my life, Christmas is always a constant and I look forward to it every year.

This year we'll be celebrating as we usually do: just our small family. But we still have our traditions: the 24 days of Christmas, tamales and chili on Christmas Eve, nutella crepes for breakfast, Christmas dinner complete with holiday poppers, and a movie on Christmas day. They might be rather simple and not very unique, but they are tradition and seem to bring stability to our family no matter what is going on in the past year.

I've had some really rough Christmases that might make people think the bad memories should outweigh the good. But they don't. Why? Because Christmas for me is all about hope. The first Christmas was about God giving us hope in a world that need it more than ever. There was political upheaval and religious pride and persecution. Much like our world today. And just like then, the answer isn't in a man, or a plan, or change. The answers will always be where they were that first Christmas. In the promise of a Savior.

So, as Sheron says on her blog, Random Ponderings, it's ok to wish me a Merry Christmas here, because for me, the greatest gift I ever got (Jesus Christ) is the reason I love this time of year.

Merry Christmas,
Walden Fan

No comments: