Sunday, December 21, 2008

I'm dreaming...

...of a white Christmas. Yes I am. Because...I'm 54 years old and I have NEVER seen one. Since I live in south Texas, it rarely (if ever) snows. However, in 2002, it did. Where was I? I was in New York City spending Christmas there in an attempt to have a white Christmas. The first time in over 100 years it snowed three inches in my hometown and I was in New York where it DID NOT snow. Totally ironic.


It's not that I haven't ever seen snow. I've seen snow. I've walked in Harvard Square in Boston in the middle of a blizzard while the local people watched me stand there and "take it in". I've been on a train platform at 9 degrees waiting to catch a train while it was snowing. It's not that I haven't seen snow, it's just that once I'd love to wake up Christmas morning and see snow on the ground. I don't think that's too much to ask. Do you?

So for all you northerners that are snowed in today and cursing winter, there are those of us in short sleeves celebrating Christmas with NO SNOW. So thank God you're where you are with a roaring fire and hot chocolate and SNOW. Because I'll be where I am wishing I was where you are (or at least in Boston where there is a foot of snow).

Still dreaming of a white Christmas,
Walden Fan

No comments: