Saturday, March 6, 2010

Those defining moments

We all have those moments that happen in our lives that change how we look at our lives and the people who are a part of them. I had several of those moments this past week. Definitive moments that caused me to realize how our lives can change in an instant; how precious and valuable every day is; and how much I value those who are close to me, including and especially my family. And when I say family, it includes some very special people who I have come to consider family (even though we aren't genetically related).

You don't realize how much your children have grown up until you "need" them. And when you need them and they step up and are there for you, it is a defining moment in your life. I've always said that we never stop being parents (no matter how old our children are), but it's an "ah-ha" moment when you need your children to carry you, and they do. Last week, my children carried me, and I have to say, it felt like nothing I have ever experienced. They took away all my anxiety and carried me through some extremely painful days of fear, dread and "not knowing". It relieved me of worry and helped me realize that I didn't always have to be the strong one.

I've always loved my children, and been extremely proud of them; but after last week, my admiration for them is beyond measure. And I can't help but be especially proud of the fact that they have grown into competent, capable, loving and compassionate adults.

Walden Fan

No comments: