Friday, September 14, 2012

God is still in the miracle business

Call me crazy, but I still believe in miracles. Why? Because God made me a believer again this year (and reminded me that he is still working in my life). Let's just say that me and my daughter are walking miracles. We both dodged some pretty amazing bullets this year and there is no other explanation except the fact that God worked some major miracles. Coincidence you might say--not a chance. He orchestrated every single event and raised up prayer warriors to stand in the gap on our behalf.

Psalms 66:16
Come and hear, all you who reverently and worshipfully fear God, and I will declare what He has done for me!

Here's how it all began--

About two years ago I found a lump in one of my breasts--again. I naturally freaked out and made an appointment at MD Anderson because I wasn't going to take any chances this time. I was expecting a new grandson and I had every intention of being a part of his life. The lump was merely calcified tissue caused by the previous radiation I received when I first found cancer years ago. But while I was there, I arranged to be tested for the BRCA cancer gene. My daughter had been urging me for quite some time to get tested upon the insistence of her doctor but I just kept putting it off.

To make a long story short, I did have the BRCA gene; my daughter was tested and did as well. That meant 6 month checkups and once a year MRI's of the breast tissue. My daughter was 30 and it never occurred to me that those tests would be anything but inconvenient and an uncomfortable necessity. But after her first MRI raising some concern about the tissue, her doctor ordered a biopsy and found a mass of pre-cancer cells in one of her breasts. It was nothing short of a miracle that they caught it early and that test saved her life.

That's not the only miracle that occurred this year. After being sick for a few months while I was in Dallas, I finally agreed to go to an urgent care facility, thinking I had walking pneumonia. The doctor immediately did an EKG because my pulse was over 200 and sent me to the emergency room. They soon discovered that a) I was in AFIB and b) I had pulmonary embolisms and a clot in my leg. The first night in the hospital, things went from bad to worse. The doctors urged my daughter to call family telling her that I was not going to survive the next 24 hours.

To make another long story short, I did. Each hour I got stronger and stronger and with each day in ICU my condition improved. That's not to say it was an easy road because complications related to the tactics they used to revive me extended my hospital stay to 22 days. But obviously God had plans that the doctors, still to this day, shake their heads in disbelief. And once again, God worked a miracle of healing.

There will always be skeptics that say the miracle of modern medicine saved both of our lives. I say that medicine is only the method God uses to work his miracles; and I will be forever grateful and humbled by his constant presence in both of our lives.

No comments: